Serving size: 1 bundt cake
Active time: 30 minutes
Inactive time: 2 hours
1 C. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 C. vegetable shortening
2 C. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. sour cream
2 t. lemon juice
1 T. vanilla extract
3 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. 7-up
2 C. powdered sugar
1/4 C. lemon juice
1. All ingredients should be room temperature.
2. Preheat to 325 degrees.
3. Lightly oil and flour and bundt pan.
4. In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, shortening, and sugar. Mix until pale and fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time ensuring you mix well after each addition.
6. Add sour cream, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Mix until fully incorporated.
7. Add flour and 7-up alternately. Beginning and ending with the flour.
8. Pour flour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing it. After 5 minutes the cake can be de-panned and placed on a rack to cool completely.
1. In a bowl whisk together the sugar and lemon juice until combined.
2. When the cake has completely cooled the glaze can be drizzled or pour on.
- Room temperature ingredients whip up better and ensure leavening in the finished product.
- Lemon extract can be substituted for the lemon juice. Other extracts, juices, or zests can be used to create other variations.
- Extract can be substituted for the lemon juice in the glaze. In addition the glaze can be made thicker by adding more powered sugar or thinner by adding more juice.
- C.= cups
- T.= tablespoons
- t.= teaspoons