Dirty rice is a dish that my gram would make for my grandpa who was from Louisiana. She wouldn’t make it often but I always enjoyed it when she did. There are a variety of ways to make this dish and I usually make it a different way every time depending on the ingredients that I have. This is a great dish for a weeknight meal. I hope you enjoy it.
Active time: 30 minutes
Inactive time: 40 minutes for brown rice and 20 minutes for white rice
Serving size: 8
1 1/2 C. brown basmati rice
3 C. water
20 oz. ground turkey breast
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 t. pepper
1 T. salt
1 T. seasoning salt
1 T. granulated garlic
1/3 C. Worcestershire sauce, divided
1/4 C. chicken stock or broth
2 T. milk
1/4 C. Tapatio hot sauce
- Make rice following the package directions.
- When the rice is done sit it to the side. It can also be refrigerated and used the next day to make this recipe.
- Chop the bell pepper and onion.
- Heat a large pan on medium high heat.
- When the pan is ready add the ground turkey breast, bell pepper, onion, and garlic.
- Cook the ground turkey until it is no longer pink.
- When the turkey is done add the salt, seasoning salt, pepper, and half of the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan.
- Add the other half of the Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir everything together until combined.
- Add the chicken stock or broth to the rice and mix to combine.
- In a bowl crack the eggs, add the milk, and beat to combine.
- Create a hole in the middle of the rice and pour the egg mixture in the center. Allow the egg to begin to cook. Gradually start mixing the rice into the egg and stir frequently until you can no longer raw egg. This takes approximately 10 minutes.
- When the egg is cooked add the 1/4 C. Tapatio hot sauce, stir to combine, and enjoy!
- The ground turkey breast can be substituted for ground beef, ground pork, ground chicken, crumbled tofu, mushrooms, shrimp, crab, crawfish, etc.
- The eggs can be eliminated or substituted for crumbled tofu.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce can be substituted for the Worcestershire sauce.
- You can add any vegetables you would like. I add celery when I have it.
- The egg can be scrambled in a separate pan and then added to the rice.
- Any hot sauce can be used as well as cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Freeze dried garlic can be used in the place of fresh. I absolutely love Litehouse herbs. You can buy them from Target in the produce section.