Pumpkin spice waffles cause if Starbucks has it back on their menu, I need it back in my kitchen. The holidays are upon us so it’s time to make yummy dishes for yourself or for family that is visiting. I grew up eating homemade waffles on the weekends and Eggos during the week. As I got older I realized how terrible Eggos are. They have this aftertaste that I have yet to identify. I started to experiment with making my own waffles when I became a home economics teacher. A few years back, chicken and waffles became all the rage but the buzz has since died down. These waffles will remind you of all the why we all fell in love with them in the first place. I styled the waffles with a pumpkin spice whipped cream so scroll all the way to the bottom in order to get the recipe. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Sering size: 4
Active time: 20 minutes
1 C. all purpose flour
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. +1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 C. whole milk
1 T. pumpkin spice
1 T. vanilla extract
2 T. vegetable oil
1/4 C. pumpkin
1. Plug in and turn on the waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice. Whisk to combine and sit it to the side.
3. In a second large bowl add the egg, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, and pumpkin. Whisk to combine.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in thirds whisking between each addition.
5. When the waffle iron is ready add the batter. The amount you add depends o the size of the waffle iron. I added between 1/2-3/4 C. of batter at a time.
6. The waffle iron will tell you when it is done. Remove the waffle and place the waffle on a cooling rack in order to prevent the waffles for becoming soggy.
7. Continue adding batter to cook waffles until you’ve used all the batter.
8. Eat hot and enjoy!
Notes and Variations:
- Chocolate chips can be added to the batter.
- Whole wheat flour can be used instead of all purpose flour.
- Granulated sugar can be used instead of brown sugar.
- This batter can also be used to make pancakes.
Ingredients for pumpkin spice whipped cream:
1 C. heavy whipping cream
1 t. pumpkin spice
2 T-1/4 C. powdered/confectioners sugar
1. Place all of the ingredients into the blender and mix until the mixture is very thick and the machine begins to whine. If no blender is available this can be made in a standing mixer or with a hand mixer.